[sword-devel] Often-requested yet never-available Bibles

David Haslam d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk
Mon Jul 27 02:28:26 MST 2009

"Why, oh why....?"

In a word, Marketing!

The NIV was very effectively marketed by the publishers. As a result, many
evangelical churches bought into the NIV, and have it as their pew Bibles.
As an evangelical myself, I am not "over the moon" about this, because it
put a substantial section of the evangelical constituency in hoc to a
commercial publisher!  This apart from any arguments relating to
translational principles, and choice of Greek text, etc, which would be
"off-topic" here. The effectiveness of the marketing drive led to decisions
being made by many churches without due consideration of the theological
principles at stake.

David Haslam