[sword-devel] Greek dictionary - input needed

Daniel Owens dhowens at pmbx.net
Mon Jan 19 19:32:50 MST 2009

I will check into the copyright issues with G-K numbers (thanks for the
cautionary reminder). I would think they would be free in granting
permission to use the numbers because it increases their usability and
visibility, but who knows.

The purist in me wants to use the lemma as the key, but that isn't
always realistic given the "market" for these sorts of things. And right
now there is only one module which uses the lemma as the key, and it's
in beta.

The other MAJOR problem is that the dictionary keys are always
capitalized, which makes it really awkward to use for Greek. Can I lobby
again for a change in that? How many Greek students are used to looking
up words in capitals? I was taught using lower case letters, and many of
the capitals are really fuzzy. When reading I can work them out based on
context sometimes because I have the rest of the word to clue me in.
Capitals also make accent marks look strange. Then there is the issue of
sort order again...

What I am hearing from Eeli and Jonathan is a move toward lemma as the
key for dictionaries but a recognition that multiple keys could be
useful. Is there is a way to encode TEI dictionaries to have multiple
key options using n, key, and sortKey? I mean, why not encode
dictionaries with each entry assigned a Strong's number (n?) and a
StrongLemma (sortKey?)?

We plan to make our source file include at least Strong's numbers and
lemma, so it will be easier in the future to switch between the two or
add more. We'll have G-K numbers if we can navigate the copyright issues.

Daniel