[sword-devel] Greek dictionary - input needed

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Mon Jan 19 03:40:23 MST 2009

Quoting Daniel Owens <dhowens at pmbx.net>:

> I have a technical question, though. We will be using SIL's MDF markers
> (similar to USFM) for the source file which can then be transformed
> into TEI or other formats for various uses. I am thinking that each
> entry should include Strong's number(s), the lexical form, and
> Goodrick-Kohlenberger number(s). The G-K numbers seem to be a modern
> replacement for Strong's.

My guess is that G-K must be forgotten because it's copyrighted. The
list of number/word connections is a creative work.

The whole idea of using Strong's or other numbers with computer
software is strange. We have discussed about this before, but I repeat
that numbers are needless because computers are able to do the
searches and to show correct entries in a dictionary without numbers.
The problem in getting rid of them is that people are so used to them
that they think they give some extra value to software/modules, and
some people are used to reading the numbers and can't live without them.

Numbers are of course good if you need to use external material, too
(printed books). Therefore they are useful and even necessary in
electronical resources. But you shouldn't use G-K without asking the
copyright holder.

--Eeli Kaikkonen