[sword-devel] Sword Library on Windows Without Requiring Cygwin

Jeremy Erickson jerickson314 at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jan 8 20:59:47 MST 2009

Hi,
	For BibleMemorizer, I am attempting to create Windows binaries.  I would like
to have a working Windows binary of Sword.  However, the only build I was
successful in creating was using Cygwin, in which case I get undefined
reference errors if I don't link with the Cygwin DLL.  I tried
using --host=i686-pc-mingw32, but it didn't make a difference.  I also tried
building against straight MinGW with MSYS, but for some reason almost
everything I do in MSYS results in sh.exe segfaulting, which means something
is wrong with my install, even though I followed the instructions on the
MinGW site.
	It might actually be easiest if someone has a pre-built .a library for Sword.
Otherwise, is there something I'm missing in ./configure in order for it to
build a non-Cygwin dependent binary?  Or are there better/easier instructions
for setting up MSYS than http://www.mingw.org/wiki/msys ?  I found that
process quite cumbersome, and the resulting setup simply doesn't work.  (I
failed to compile autoconf with the same problems Sword gave me.)
	I have never really compiled anything on Windows not using Visual Studio,
unless I was using Cygwin and didn't care if it linked the DLL.  (The vast
majority of my experience is on Linux, and the rest on Mac OS X which is
similar.)  However, for distribution, I would prefer not to have to link it.
	Also, where does the Windows version of Sword look for modules by default?

-Jeremy Erickson