[sword-devel] Xiphos 3.0.0 released

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 10:36:07 MST 2009

Barry,

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Barry Drake <bdrake at crosswire.org> wrote:
> Hi Karl .......
>
> Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
>>
>> Saving/restoring all windows would require a good bit of extra
>> bookkeeping but we can look into it.
>
> Thanks.  I'm surprised I'm one of few who use the detached window.  It might
> be worth me saying why.
>
> Example:  I'm looking at the beginning of John's gospel.  It obviously has
> some similarity to Genesis 1.  I want to look at Gen. 1:1 and John 1:1 at
> the same time.  Then I want to look at various bible versions for each.
>  Xiphos lets me do that with the detached window for one version.
>
> Next:  I'm looking at a particular passage.  I want the complete chapter on
> screen in more than one version.  Again, this works fine with Xiphos using
> detached windows.
>
> Third: I use the Revised Common Lectionary most weeks at church.  I can have
> all four readings for the day on screen at the same time.  This really is a
> big help when thinking about them prior to the worship ....
>
> And so on ....  I really appreciate the flexibility to do all of those
> things.  I wonder why others don't have similar requirements.

All of those are the same reasons I never used BibleCS (doesn't
support that ability) and didn't use GS either (I don't think it
supported it at the time I tried or leastways I never heard about it
nor found it) so I used Bibletime, which came close.  My preferred
ability is to have every window - scripture, commentary, etc - default
to a free floating frame that I can move anywhere on my screen.  It's
nice to hear that Xiphos supports something close to this now.  I
might go back and give it a try to see if I like it now!

--Greg