[sword-devel] Xiphos 3.0.0 released

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Sun Feb 15 05:18:20 MST 2009

Barry Drake <bdrake at crosswire.org> writes:
> A preferred mode of use for me is with the free-floating
> bible and commentary windows.  It would be great if I could exit the
> program and on re-start, return to however I left the layout (this
> might be two different bibles plus a commentary).  Also, it would be
> nice to be able to toggle chapter/verse linking between two or more
> free-floating windows.

Saving/restoring all windows would require a good bit of extra
bookkeeping but we can look into it.

As you've discovered, there are synchronization facilities in detached
("free-floating") dialogs.  I looked at the problems you reported (thank
you) and have dealt with them:
- The context menu items were pretty darn buggy and represent a
communication failure of sorts with the rest of the dialog management,
insofar as the manner by which to indicate the module to be sync'd
simply can't work the way the code was originally written.
- Considering that those context menu items are redundant with the big
synchronization button in the upper left, I've simply removed the
context menu items, at least for now, and have fixed an underlying
module reference bug for the button along the way.  There is also now a
tooltip on that button, to make its use obvious.

This will be part of the upcoming 3.0.1 which addresses the Windows
"non-ASCII pathnames cause problems" issue.

Honestly, I've never been a big user of detached dialogs other than for
the detached parallel window, and I suspect my usage model is not too
different from other Xiphos developers, so we've just never noticed.  We
need to develop a more robust testing scheme than we currently have,
which is currently pretty ad hoc.