[sword-devel] File Formats (WAS Re: SwordReader .....)

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 13:43:45 MST 2009

David,

Yes, it was the BI-NT that I was referring to.  I found the direct
export to the Office 2003 XML format to be easy *enough* to work with.
 If I had those two weeks back to work on it again, I'd probably write
it in JavaScript with jQuery and direct people to use Chrome, but
what's done is done.

I wrote the converter in two portions: one was a set of C++ classes
that could represent certain arbitrary portions of an OSIS document in
memory, including the elements and their attributes that I needed, and
the second was specifically the portion that walked the exported XML
document that I made from the Word documents.  At the time I was
pretty happy with the C++ classes, and I think I still am.  I was only
lacking in that I had not yet pulled the text of the author's
footnotes into the OSIS document - though I had properly parsed where
they should go and placed his '*' in the place where the footnote
element would eventually go.  I'll have to see if I wrote it well
enough to jump back into it and knock out that last task.  Certainly,
if I think they're nice enough, I will put them in a place where
others can access the source code of the program, because it might be
nice for people to have a programmatic interface in C++ to generate
(moderately) good basic OSIS in a format that's more familiar to an
application programmer than direct XML or XSLT.

--Greg