[sword-devel] indexed search discrepancy

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Fri Aug 28 10:38:51 MST 2009

Thanks for investigating this Matthew.  There shouldn't really be any
repercussions to increasing this within reason, though I would like to
find a way to remove this code if we can.

Does anyone know if clucene REALLY wants a wchar_t buffer, and if so,
what EXACTLY does it want?

wchar_t on windows is 16 bits, and on linux is typically 32 bits.

This would mean that likely it expects UTF-16???  Or maybe just limits
to 16 bit characters and doesn't support the full Unicode range (at
least on windows)?

We have methods to convert to both UTF-16 and UTF-32 in our engine,
which don't need a fixed length buffer, so I would like to replace:

lucene_utf8towcs(wcharBuffer, content, MAX_CONV_SIZE);

with a call to our code, if we can nail down exactly what clucene wants
in the resultant wcharBuffer

Anyway, for now, upping the buffer should be fine, or dynamically
allocating to say 2*source length should also be practically safe, but
some of our module drivers support a 4 byte size, so retaining a static
buffer with a fixed size would mean we'd need to make it fairly large to
support the full range of data.

	-Troy.

PS.  I just typed my last command and looked at my history...

scribe at scribe-laptop:~/src/sword/src/modules$ svn blame swmodule.cpp > blame
scribe at scribe-laptop:~/src/sword/src/modules$ vi blame
scribe at scribe-laptop:~/src/sword/src/modules$ rm blame

and felt an all encompassing Love and acceptance, being reminded of what
our God has done for us when I type:

rm blame

and solidly pressed return. :)