[sword-devel] Devanagari text displays different in SWORD than in the source IMP file

David Haslam d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk
Wed Aug 26 00:38:26 MST 2009

Hi Tim,

If you want to edit such a text without using any Windows installed Unicode
fonts, you might wish to consider  http://www.unipad.org/ SC Unipad Lite . 
It usually succeeds even when those 3 text editors run out of steam. Comes
with a virtual keypad for the whole Unicode plane.

Notepad uses a heuristic algorithm to determine whether a text file is
Unicode or not.
Sometimes this fails on plain ANSI text files with spectacular results! 
Search Google for "Bush hid the facts".

MS Wordpad is worthwhile examining. It seems to be much more Unicode
compliant than Notepad.
This feature is not that widely reported! When saving as Unicode, Wordpad
encodes in UTF-16.
SC Unipad Lite is very useful to change encoding to UTF-8  (without BOM) - I
have never found this wanting.

-- David

Tim Chase-13 wrote:
> Hi
> I’m creating a bible module using the .sfm paratext files from the Nepal
> Bible Society.  Just as info I’m using the SFMToOSIS.py for conversion to
> OSIS and then using OSIS2MOD to create my module files.   When showing the
> example SWORD module to the Bible Society they noticed that the devanagari
> half characters were not showing correctly.  
> I have done some testing and have found that the text is fine going from
> the sfm to osis and also into a raw module.  When the text is displayed in
> the bible text panel of the windows SWORD program the text is displayed
> incorrectly.  In SWORD I have set the font for the module to Arial Unicode
> MS, and all input files are UTF-8.
> Attached is a small sample imp formatted file which can be used to make a
> rawtext module using imp2vs.  Also attached are images of what the text
> should look like and the incorrectly displayed text from SWORD. 
> I looked at the text in the raw module with three different editors with
> the following results using UTF-8 format:
> Jedit = incorrectly displayed
> Notepad = correctly displayed
> Notepad++ = correctly displayed   
> So the problem appears to be in how the SWORD for windows program handles
> devanagari Unicode script.
> Hopefully I’ve made it simple enough to be able to troubleshoot this with
> devanagari text :-)
> Thanks for the help
> Tim Chase

View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Devanagari-text-displays-different-in-SWORD-than-in-the-source-IMP-file-tp25137030p25148036.html
Sent from the SWORD Dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

More information about the sword-devel mailing list