[sword-devel] .Net Exception Odd behavior...

Wade Balzer wbalzer at newjerusalem.org
Fri Aug 21 12:05:53 MST 2009

That was the biggest problem I had was trying to regenerate the wrapper.

I compile all the latest updates successfully in VS C++ 2008, but I can't
get SWIG to regenerate the wrapper for C#.  So I have been using an older
version of the compiled binary that is buggy.

The latest version of SWIG does have fixes and better handling, but I can't
get it to compile.  Ugh.  Apparently,  the latest updates to the header
library were targeted to a PHP target leaving a C# target broken.  :-(

So. because I couldn't get it working, I  started to create my own modules
from an OSIS source.  I was going to parse out the modules and place them on
a SQL Server, but my tests have been slow searching through an unindexed
field. (2 minutes to search for a single word using a CLR Regex function.
Yuck.)   At least with a map of an OSIS document, I can locate each verse
and traverse all the verses in the bible in under 5 seconds.  If I create a
binary index, I can return all occurrences of God in less than a second.

I think I still would rather use the SWORD Library because it is faster on
searches, and has more people involved in updating the core library.

My only other option was to create a native C# Sword Library, but I don't
have the time or energy to recreate the wheel.

If anyone can help by taking the latest code base, and recompile a working
SwigSword.dll targeted for C# and accompanying dll's, that would be very
helpful.  Let me know how you got it working would cool too.

Thanks,

Wade