[sword-devel] Wiki Misrepresentation

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 17:35:50 MST 2009

Peter,

I'm going to top post, so forgive that.

I know we've been through lots of licensing issues in the past.
However, the fact remains that the GPL FAQs as well as the FSF license
e-mail answering people have directly responded inquiries from SWORD
application developers and stated that it *IS* permissible to use
GPL-compatible licenses to write the code for an application which
links to a GPL library.  So to state on our Wiki that the application
must be GPL is incorrect.  LGPL could be used, MIT, BSD, PD and others
could all be used (or at least those versions of the preceding
licenses which are labeled, by the FSF, as GPL-compatible).  No
dual-licensing required, nothing.  I'm not saying that this in any way
allows the people to get around the restrictions of the GPL as to
modifications of the SWORD code or any other such thing - but it does
free up people to publish a front-end in a different license if they
see the GPL as wrong for their area (like Alkitab chose PD) without
having to explain themselves and go through receiving special
permission.

--Greg