[sword-devel] Alternate Versification

Kahunapule Michael Johnson kahunapule at mpj.cx
Mon Apr 27 02:38:03 MST 2009

DM Smith wrote:
> A good place for this would be:
> www.crosswire.org/wiki/Alternate_Versification.
>
> Just add a section that gives:
> The name of the versification, the description of the versification
> and the date that it was added to the SWORD engine.

The number of versification schemes that must be supported is at least
one greater than the number of pre-defined versification schemes that
you come up with. If the versification schemes must each individually be
added into the SWORD engine, and not just into the modules, there will
be Bibles that you can't properly encode without upgrading the SWORD
engine. Hasn't anyone considered a way to put the versification scheme
entirely in the module, along with a recommended equivalent display in
one or more reference versification schemes? Usually, differences aren't
major, but the number of probable permutations is daunting when you
consider the thousands of languages spoken on this planet. So, some sort
of difference encoding might be an efficient way to do things. For
example, in some schemes, the Hebrew Title of a Psalm is verse 1, and
the first actual verse of the psalm is 2, etc.-- a constant offset of
just one for Psalms with titles. Then there are verse bridges (not
technically another versification scheme, but related in the way they
are handled), as well as those pesky moved paragraphs, one verse counted
as two or vise versa, etc. I'm guessing that if you think you have all
of the versification schemes enumerated, a different one will come
along, and not because of any heretical work, either.