[sword-devel] ICU transliteration resources

Matthew Talbert ransom1982 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 19:19:44 MST 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Matthew Talbert <ransom1982 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have successfully compiled ICU with mingw on Windows and I'm trying
> to get the transliteration filters working. These now work in Xiphos
> in linux. However, the location of the filters appears hard-coded in
> utf8transliterator.cpp. Is there an interface to allow passing the
> location at runtime? This is necessary for Windows where the location
> is not known at compile time.
>
> Additionally, I hardcoded the location into utf8transliterator.cpp,
> and it apparently loaded the filters, but transliteration still wasn't
> working in Xiphos. Is there some way to test that the resource files
> are actually correct?
>
> I do not understand how BibleCS is managing this, as I was unable to
> even locate the resources in the installation.
>
> Matthew

I have figured this out. For anyone who is interested, to make sword
use the dll for its resources, you have to define _ICUSWORD_. So
running configure like this:

"CPPFLAGS="$CLFAGS $CPPFLAGS -DUSBINARY -D_ICUSWORD_" ./configure

will do the correct thing.

It would be nice if this were documented somewhere, such as in
utf8trasnliterator.h. There is already a standing request for
documentation in this file, so perhaps it could be done at the same
time.

In addition, it would be nice if this were the default config on
Windows, as it's the only way it will work reliably on that platform.

Matthew