[sword-devel] Release-critical TODO items (updated mod2osis patch)

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Apr 27 17:37:10 MST 2009

On Apr 27, 2009, at 8:09 PM, Greg Hellings wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 6:48 PM, Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden at fastmail.fm
> > wrote:
>>
>> Longer term, this need for strange transformations looks to me like a
>> problem that stems from an inadequate or incomplete underlying book
>> representation in SWORD itself?  That may be something for SWORD
>> 2.x, not
>> 1.6 :)
>
> I'm an advocate of this - but there is strong feeling among some
> developers that we never want to break backwards compatibility with
> installed modules.  Thus, the push to allow for, e.g., interverse
> content in the actual module (and also OSIS header information, etc)
> may never be realized.

Handling interverse content will be realized soon. I am working on it
now.

I've written about it before but it bears repeating:
The following is not going to change:
The transformations of containers to milestones.
The transformation of the Words of Christ.
Retention of text that is not in the current versification.
The conversion of the text to NFC, UTF-8

What is going to change:
All tags will be retained.
They will not be re-ordered.
The interverse material will be split between two adjacent verses.
(Book and Chapter intros are considered verses by the engine.)
The rules of the split will be well-defined and documented so that
module writers can understand them.
They will be put into a milestoned div with a subType="x-preverse".
This change will require 1.6.0 (formerly know as, 1.5.12).

To support this Troy has added the engine support for this.

While this might not make 1.6.0, it will make 1.6.1.

Once this is in mod2osis will need to catch-up.

I almost always recommend to use the latest version of osis2mod,
compiled directly from SVN. We make frequent changes to it that are
compatible with the latest release of the engine. New modules drive
the changes. One should not wait for an official release to a
distribution to get the latest.

Hope this helps.

In Him,
	DM