[sword-devel] ftplib.c licence/copyright issues

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 02:41:23 MST 2009

2009/4/24 Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden at fastmail.fm>

> >>  src/utilfuns/ftplib.c: UNKNOWN
>
> Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
>
> > It's LGPL v2+ with Incorrect FSF address.
> >
> > Attaching a patch: ...
>
> I think patching is an incorrect approach to this.

I made the patch a bit tongue in cheek.

> Only the copyright holder can change the copyright of their code.
> Patching a copyright notice in packaging is, more or less by definition,
> the wrong thing to do.  Stating in debian/copyright what the actual
> copyright of the file is, and why we believe it to be that if there is
> any ambiguity, is the correct approach to this situation, unless and
> until we can persuade the authors to update their code and release a
> version with an improved copyright notice.

copyright has not been changed. Style of commenting was which is allowed
under LGPL.
An address was update which is simply a pointer where the full text of the
license can be obtained.

LGPL does grant the right to change the source code as long as we publish
the new source. IMHO these two small changes fall under that. Upto Sword
developer's to commit the patch or not.

> The goal isn't to make sure licencecheck -r . output looks good; it is
> to make sure that every file in the source tarball has a known DFSG-free
> copyright and license.  It's simplest if licensecheck tells us all is
> well, but in the end licensecheck is just a tool.  debian/copyright
> being complete and correct is much more important.

I will submit bug report to licensecheck cause in my expectation it should
pick up a license enclosed in funky commenting.

> Jonathan

With best regards

Dmitrijs Ledkovs (for short Dima),
Ледков Дмитрий Юрьевич