[sword-devel] Remaining licence/copyright issues (was: SWORD 1.6.0RC2)

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 18:57:32 MST 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Dmitrijs Ledkovs <dmitrij.ledkov at gmail.com
> wrote:

> 2009/4/22 Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden at fastmail.fm>:
> > One quick first impression: there are still a few files in the RC2
> tarball
> > that
> >
> >  licencecheck -r *
> >
> >  src/modules/common/sapphire.cpp: *No copyright* UNKNOWN
>
> /*
>
>   Implementation of POSIX directory browsing functions and types for Win32.
>
>   Kevlin Henney (mailto:kevlin at acm.org), March 1997.
>
>   Copyright Kevlin Henney, 1997. All rights reserved.
>
>   Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
>   documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided
>   that this copyright and permissions notice appear in all copies and
>   derivatives, and that no charge may be made for the software and its
>   documentation except to cover cost of distribution.
>
>   This software is supplied "as is" without express or implied warranty.
>
>   But that said, if there are any problems please get in touch.
>
> */
>
> This meets DFSG criteria so it can be distributed by debian. IMHO it
> can be linked compiled by GPLv2 software..... not a lawyer though.
>
> DFSG criteria can be found here:
> http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

Does it meet those criteria, though?

   1.

   *Free Redistribution*

   The license of a Debian component may not restrict any party from selling
   or giving away the software as a component of an aggregate software
   distribution containing programs from several different sources. The license
   may not require a royalty or other fee for such sale.

Does that go well with "no charge may be made for the software and its
documentation except to cover cost of distribution."?
I'm not sure this is GPL compatible either.

God Bless,
Ben
Multitudes, multitudes,
   in the valley of decision!