[sword-devel] linking / testsuite

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 23:08:44 MST 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Ben Morgan wrote:
>
>> If you have 66 books of the Bible and many different ways of
>> referencing them, testing every single way isn't necessarily all that
>> easy. Then multiply that by every locale that is there.
>
> A regression test doesn't (usually) try to give complete coverage of
> anything, just enough tests to convince the team that functionality that is
> now "correct" does not later become "incorrect" without someone quickly
> noticing the change.

> Basically, bugs you find in an RC release are often the "creme de la creme"
> of bugs... treat them with respect :)

I would be fairly certain that the reference problems were in well
before the RC release - it's just that no-one noticed them (the only
reason I did was because the TSK used two letter book names and
stopped working properly - I never use two letter book names).  I
certainly agree that they need some regression testing, but that
doesn't make them RC release bugs.

BTW, another useful set of references to check that may not be in the
test suite are the Jude 3 -> Jude 1:3 changes.

Jon