[sword-devel] iPhone developers?

David Trotz dtrotzjr at crosswire.org
Mon Apr 20 11:43:20 MST 2009

Ian Wagner wrote:
> I am going to start using SVN over the summer. The reason I do not use
> it right now is because I am at college and my school blocks almost
> every non-HTTP port in the book so it would be a pain to work with
> right now. If crosswire would be able to host it that would be great.
Until its available via subversion I may hold off on helping out.
Otherwise its going to be far too easy to be out of sync with your copy
and merging will be a pain. Please consider doing this sooner rather
than later.

> Yes, I am packaging SWORD and clucene with it for now. This is because
> neither of these will compile out of the box for the iPhone so I had
> to change a few things to get it to work so it is much easier to just
> distribute my modified version with the package. I still haven't been
> able to get a few parts of the library to compile at all, but they are
> non-essential, namely the install and ftp managers. I wrote my own
> module downloader/installer using iPhone native API calls. I also
> decided to do it using the HTTP mirror instead of FTP because of the
> previously mentioned college situation. Using FTP would make it
> impossible for thousands of users in similar situations to use the
> module downloader.
You do plan to get your changes into the official source trees? This
will make our lives easier, especially as sword continues to evolve, we
want to take advantage of new features.

It kinda feels like you want to take this thing solo, which I hope is
only a feeling I have and not in fact reality, but if it is let me know
so that I do not step on your toes here. I really would love to help out
and I am sure there are others as well. A concerted effort is much more
fruitful than a solo one, although there are exceptions.

--
In Christ,
David Trotz