[sword-devel] OSIS tagging paragraph which span chapter ?

Tonny Kohar tonny.kohar at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 05:45:32 MST 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 6:43 PM, DM Smith <dmsmith at crosswire.org> wrote:

> On Apr 20, 2009, at 2:48 AM, Tonny Kohar wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone know how to tagging paragraph which span chapter eg: Mark
>> 7:31-Mark 8:9 ?
>>
>> Because I got an error using osis2mod when tagging such paragraph.
>
> Tonny,
>
> I am assuming that you verified that your input is valid OSIS by running it
> through an XML validator?

This is the error which is thrown by XML validator
"The element type "p" must be terminated by the matching end-tag
"</p>". [5,632] "

This is the error which is thrown by osis2mod (libsword6, version 1.5.9-8ubuntu1
"Error: Mark 8:9: Expected chapter found p"

> My suggestion is that you write your OSIS file without trying to work around
> the shortcomings of osis2mod. If need be, use xslt to modify it to an
> intermediate form that works around the problem.
>
> Based upon your description, the paragraph marks should be between the
> verses.
>
> <verse eID="Mark.7.30"/>
> <verse osisID="Mark.7.31" sID="Mark.7.31"/>
> <verse eID="Mark.8.9">
> <verse osisID="Mark.8.10" sID="Mark.8.10"/>

Yes, the above exactly the tagging I use (only without sID and eID
attribute) and it throws error for the xml validator and osis2mod

> When you say error, are you saying that the program stops unexpectedly or
> that the program reports an error and keeps on going? If it is the latter,
> it really is a "strong" warning.

for the xml validator, it stop validating and waiting for me to fix the tag.
for the osis2mod, it just print the above error message on console and
then quit.

> The goal of our development of osis2mod is to allow all well-written (see
> wiki for these best practices),

So far I am always use the following crosswire wiki as the reference
http://crosswire.org/wiki/OSIS_Bibles (is this the same wiki you mentioned ?)
and the OSIS 2.1.1 User Manual 06March2006.pdf

The above 2 reference does not show how to tag paragraph which span
chapter. They have some description regarding milestone things, but it
is not clear for me on how to applied to my case. Besides the
reference text KJV (which I use) is using the following <milestone
type="x-p" marker="¶"/> for paragraph.

So, what is the recommended way to tagging such paragraph ?
1) using <div type="x-preverse" sID="xxx"/> ... <div eID="xxx"/>
2) or using <lb type="x-begin-paragraph"/>..<lb
type="x-end-paragraph"/> directly instead of <p>..</p>
I tested this approach and it works for BD and Alkitab.
3) or any other ways ?

Cheers
Tonny Kohar
--