[sword-devel] x-E-XXX language codes

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Sun Apr 19 06:46:30 MST 2009

On Apr 19, 2009, at 4:25 AM, Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:

> BibleTime source code has some language names with x-E-XXX language
> codes. This is in comments:
>
> "Chris explained in an eMail how language codes are build:
> Preference order for locale codes are:
> ISO 639-1
> ISO 639-2
> Ethnologue (http://www.ethnologue.org/)
> We intend to always follow OSIS locale conventions, which state that
> Ethnologue codes will be encoded in the format x-E-??? where ???
> represents the 3-letter Ethnologue code in capital letters (though
> capitalization really doesn't matter here).
> Some older modules maintain a former format for Ethnolgoue codes of
> xx-???, including the AleWiesler module."
>
> Are these x-E codes really used somewhere? I didn't find any by
> grepping the repositories' .conf files. AleWiesler doesn't even exist.

Not repeating Chris' response.

Yes these codes were used. JSword translates the Lang=xxx field to a
friendly name. E.g. en -> English. We had to handle the x-CODE as a
separate case.

I think that the only place they exist is in old modules that someone
might have.

One place in BibleDesktop where it is visible is in the module
installer. We present modules in a tree format, where language is the
second level of the tree.

At this time, these are dumped into the language who's name is
"Other". (I.e. this bucket is for lookup errors).

In Him,
	DM