[sword-devel] CrossWire Server Problems

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Fri Apr 17 17:54:01 MST 2009

Thanks for all the feeback guys.

I'm removed the line:
export JAVA_OPTS="-server -Xms4096m -Xmx8192m"

which was added recently along with the upgrade to JDK 1.6.0_13.

It is a 64bit JDK.

Yeah, I have no idea what the max numbers the JDK can take.  We probably 
should put SOMETHING in JAVA_OPTS, but just want to be sure this is the 
problem and not the new JDK.  So we'll run for a couple days and see if 
things work ok again.

We've also added the -server flag, as can be seen in the line above.  I 
don't know exactly what this does, but saw it recommended on some sites 
and sounded right for our application. :)

Please keep an eye out on the site and if anyone still needs to reset 
tomcat to fix anything, please post so we know.

Regarding the log entry:

(Permission denied)

This is for our translation taglib we've written, which allows our site 
to be translated into other languages, like:



It allows a translator to login and translate any of our pages, so 
tomcat needs write access to these files to save the data from the 
translator.  trans_null is kindof a byproduct file when no locale is 
specified.  I suppose entries in here would override the default display 
text, but is probably a bug in our taglib and should be fixed.  But 
regardless, it is a real permissions problem for the other trans_* files 
in this folder if those sites want translation support turned on 
(gobible in this case)

We haven't really taken advantage of this feature yet.  Peter (refdoc) 
has added a nice language picker on his updates to swordweb at:


and hopefully we can take advantage of this for our main crosswire and 
sword pages.  Maybe little flags and stuff :)  Anyone know of a free use 
set of little flag icons? :)

Thanks again for the feedback on tomcat.  Hopefully we'll nail down the 
exact problem.  If things run smoothly now, we'll try adding back things 
one at a time till we see what breaks.


Peter von Kaehne wrote:
> Since we got a new server there had been no tomcat problem until last
> few days. Then the problem suddenly happened several times in a row.
> As we have not changed much of the applications, nor (I do suspect) has
> the load not gone up, I think the problem must lie with whatever you did
> to tomcat itself recently i the update.
> I say this obviously with the privilege of the ignorant.
> Peter
> _______________________________________________
> sword-devel mailing list: sword-devel at crosswire.org
> http://www.crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/sword-devel
> Instructions to unsubscribe/change your settings at above page

More information about the sword-devel mailing list