[sword-devel] CrossWire Server Problems

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Fri Apr 17 17:54:01 MST 2009

Thanks for all the feeback guys.

I'm removed the line:
export JAVA_OPTS="-server -Xms4096m -Xmx8192m"

which was added recently along with the upgrade to JDK 1.6.0_13.

It is a 64bit JDK.

Yeah, I have no idea what the max numbers the JDK can take.  We probably
should put SOMETHING in JAVA_OPTS, but just want to be sure this is the
problem and not the new JDK.  So we'll run for a couple days and see if
things work ok again.

We've also added the -server flag, as can be seen in the line above.  I
don't know exactly what this does, but saw it recommended on some sites
and sounded right for our application. :)

Please keep an eye out on the site and if anyone still needs to reset
tomcat to fix anything, please post so we know.

Regarding the log entry:

java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/opt/tomcat/webapps/gobible/WEB-INF/classes/trans_null.properties
(Permission denied)

This is for our translation taglib we've written, which allows our site
to be translated into other languages, like:

http://crosswire.org/study/?lang=el
http://crosswire.org/study/?lang=zh_CN
http://crosswire.org/study/?lang=fa

etc.

It allows a translator to login and translate any of our pages, so
tomcat needs write access to these files to save the data from the
translator.  trans_null is kindof a byproduct file when no locale is
specified.  I suppose entries in here would override the default display
text, but is probably a bug in our taglib and should be fixed.  But
regardless, it is a real permissions problem for the other trans_* files
in this folder if those sites want translation support turned on
(gobible in this case)

We haven't really taken advantage of this feature yet.  Peter (refdoc)
has added a nice language picker on his updates to swordweb at:

http://crosswire.org/~refdoc/swordweb/webapp/

and hopefully we can take advantage of this for our main crosswire and
sword pages.  Maybe little flags and stuff :)  Anyone know of a free use
set of little flag icons? :)

Thanks again for the feedback on tomcat.  Hopefully we'll nail down the
exact problem.  If things run smoothly now, we'll try adding back things
one at a time till we see what breaks.

	-Troy.