[sword-devel] Windows ntfs utf16 file or path name issue

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Fri Apr 17 11:42:52 MST 2009

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:

> Xiphos has patched the Sword library to handle all utf16 pathnames
> correctly on Windows. I reproduced this with BibleTime on Windows, so
> it's not Xiphos alone. Greg Hellings told he doesn't want to release BT
> on Windows before this issue has been solved in library level without
> patching. What should we do?

I'm an outsider in some ways, but my suggested next steps would be:

(1) Try to duplicate the issue using just the library and diatheke (so
it is clearly not dependent only any application outside of SWORD code
provided by CrossWire itself).

(2) Submit a bug report to the SWORD Jira bugtracker.  Include a clear
step by step description of how to reproduce the issue, preferably on a
US English version of Windows XP (if it needs an international Windows
OS version to trigger the problem, it will be hard for many of us to
work on it).

(3) Attach the patch that fixes the issue to the bug report.  Ideally,
make sure the patch applies cleanly to either SWORD 1.6.0RC1 or SWORD
svn head.

(4) Test the patched library to make sure the patch does not introduce
any regressions, both on Windows and on other platforms.  Document what
testing has been done in the bug tracker.

(5) Here on sword-devel, point to the bug tracker item and ask the SWORD
library developers to please get your patch into the official library
sources for SWORD 1.6.0 :)

Jonathan