[sword-devel] CrossWire Server Problems

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Thu Apr 16 18:09:21 MST 2009

There have been some problems with the server lately.

I think, but am not sure, that tomcat is having problems. I'm not very
up on tomcat, so take what follows with a grain of salt.

For those with server access and appropriate permissions, tomcat logs
have a wealth of info and can be found at:
/opt/tomcat/logs

In catalina.out the following error is repeated frequently:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /opt/tomcat/webapps/gobible/WEB-INF/
classes/trans_null.properties (Permission denied)
This is followed by a java stack trace.

The only other errors I see in that file are related to the Bible
Tool, where the process tries to attach to a running process (throwing
an exception) and then starts another process because of the failure.

Other than that this log indicates a heavy usage of the forums.

In catalina2009-04-16.log
There are a lot of problems opening jar files. Doing a spot check
indicates that the jars are fine. But looking a bit closer in the log,
each one of these is followed by a stack trace indicating "Too many
files open"

Musing out loud: It appears that some of the more common jar files are
repeated for each webapp. Should they be put in a common area? (I
don't know enough to know.)

I'm also wondering whether the BibleTool holds too many open file
descriptors? (I have no idea, but JSword had that problem.)

The number of open file descriptors is a tunable kernel parameter, so
maybe it can be adjusted upward?

Anyway, this is probably more heat than light.

In Him,
	DM