[sword-devel] Highlighting word

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Tue Apr 14 03:07:39 MST 2009

Quoting mmital2 <mital.manu at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> Can anybody suggest what would be the best approach for storing highlighted
> words (that is, providing user the capability to highlight certain words of
> the chapter or verse using the mouse).Is there any way this information be
> stored in module itself? The approach I tried is to store the start and end
> character index of the highlighted portions in richedit control. However,
> these indices are thrown off if the user toggles cross-references, lemma or
> morphological tags (and the highlighted display appears at all the wrong
> places in the chapter).

My opinion to the second problem: allow highlighting only when other
features are turned off. I don't see any other reasonable way to do it.

To the first problem: I have thought about this long time ago.
Highlighting is almost a standard feature for many Bible applications.
We need it to compete with other software. We should have a standard
for highlighting as well as for bookmarks so that they could be shared
between SWORD applications.

On way could be to create a personal commentary. Instead of text it
would have some kind of raw data, e.g. the ordinals of words and
markup indicator:

1: underline:red
2-3: background:blue

How to manage different versions of modules? First, when opening an
existing markup file for an updated module the UI should show a
warning that the markup may not be accurate any more. Second, for each
verse the MD5 sum calculated from the plain text could be added. If
the new checksum differs from the saved checksum, the user could be
warned somehow. Most module updates probably affect only few verses,
so a general warning would be too general and the user couldn't know
whether data is really correct or not. Checksum would enable knowing
for each verse if it has been changed.

--Eeli Kaikkonen