[sword-devel] Making Import Easier

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 08:15:27 MST 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 2:00 AM, Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 5:07 AM, Kahunapule Michael Johnson
> <kahunapule at mpj.cx> wrote:
>> Chris Little wrote:
>>> We post Windows binaries because most Windows users don't have a
>>> compiler. We don't post Linux binaries because most Linux users _do_
>>> have a compiler (or could get one quickly and easily). I don't
>>> actually know whether Macs come with I compiler or not.
>>
>> The vast majority of Mac users would not even consider compiling a
>> program. A compiler comes with the OS disk, but it is not installed by
>> default. Require compilation to use a program, and it just won't get
>> used much, except by a very small number of programmers. Even those
>> would probably rather have a binary properly packaged.
>
> This might be a perfect example of where a GUI for the tools would be
> ideal.  Mac users like everything to be right in front of their face
> and a simple 1 or 2 step drag-n-drop process.  If a little app bundle
> could be put together with just a minimal front-end that allows users
> to drop in a module file, click one or two options, and have the
> program call the utilities (which are included in the app bundle), I
> think that would be the most natural method for a Mac user to create a
> module.

I'll agree with Jonathan Marsden's earlier comments.  With the
possible exception of CCEL data, you won't get any one click creation
of a Bible module with good content and even basically expressive
markup.  That being the case, it's fine to create such a GUI and
remove a possible pain point, but I doubt it brings down the price of
entry much.

Jon