[sword-devel] How to reverse engineer e-Sword's format (no illegality involved)

David Haslam d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk
Tue Apr 7 02:10:03 MST 2009

Ignoring the modules hosted officially on the e-Sword site, there is (as we
know) a plethora of e-Sword user modules created by third-parties, over
which RM has no jurisdiction.  The nub of the issue is not the file format
(MS Access .mdb renamed as .bbl, etc), it is the text provenance, and in
some file-sharing sites, the text copyright violations.

I have discussed this with Peter in the past, and it's an area of
considerable risk to CrossWire's reputation were we to go down this route.
So please, please tread very carefully. There is also the temptation to
waste a lot of time pursuing stuff of doubtful quality.

If any of us come across what appears to be really good content in e-Sword
format, the first thing that should be done is to trace who the text belongs
to, and pursue the steps outlined in CrossWire's wiki page on Copyright
(lobbying).

On a very few occasions this approach has been fruitful. For example, it led
me to establish indirect contact with the copyight owners of the Nepali
(Sangati) NT, with a view to making a Go Bible application for this
translation. This is mentioned in the CrossWire wiki page for Module
requests.

-- David Haslam