[sword-devel] Making Import Easier

Manfred Bergmann bergmannmd at web.de
Tue Apr 7 01:00:39 MST 2009

Am 06.04.2009 um 22:45 schrieb Mike Hart:

> On this subject, why are ALL modules (especially beta mods)
> compressed? Once upon a time, compression made the world of POTS
> (telephone) based file transfer possible.. turning a 2 hour 5 meg
> download into a 20 minute download made sense.  Today with the
> exception of very low end mobile devices, the need for compression
> is zero, and the compression used by Sword is rather CPU intensive.
> CPU speeds are driving what you can do with a given computer far
> more often than disk space. It would make more sense to optimize the
> compression for speed rather than maximum compression in cases where
> it is required, and to eliminate it altogether where possible.
>
> For final modules, it does make some sense to compress as a
> discouragement to make changes to other's work.  On beta modules
> however, the ability to 'view the source' to troubleshoot is in the
> hands of the few.  Considering the number of works in beta (and the
> trend is up), being able to do more end user troubleshooting is a
> good idea.
>
> I'm saying this in the hopes that an 'import' menu option outputs a
> rawtext module, not a zipped file.  Also, the companion 'compress'
> option as a separate menu item should be accompanied by an
> 'uncompress.' (with the ability to lock out 'unmodifiable' or non-
> beta modules.)

CPU speeds are not really the issue nowadays. It is more the size of
caches, bus, RAM and hard drive speeds.
And I still would encourage to compress data before I send it via
email instead of just sending it uncompressed. Not doing this costs
bandwidth. And all this costs money.
Depending on the source data compression can shrink by factor 2 or 3.
So having 5 instead of 10 mega bytes matters in my opinion.

Manfred