[sword-devel] Making Import Easier

Matthew Talbert ransom1982 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 18:38:38 MST 2009

There is one serious advantage to adding import tools to a frontend
(ie, on Windows). There is a tremendous amount of content in ThML at
CCEL, but the licensing prohibits distributing said content. It's for
personal use only. The only formats that are re-distributable are the
plain-text documents. Adding this to a front-end would make it
trivially easy for a user to download a book from CCEL and add it to
his software.

As to why the tools aren't distributed, for Xiphos (on Windows) it's
because the tools are around 20MB and a fairly strong element want to
keep the package download size as small as possible.

As to why the current documentation isn't better, or why there aren't
more modules in source format to look at, it's essentially CrossWire
policy to keep it so that average users can't create modules easily
(don't flame me for this; I could provide a whole host of links to
support this claim, including where amateur module authors are told to
"buzz off"; I suggest reading through past sword-devel archives; it's
very enlightening)

Matthew