[sword-devel] ESV Markup Challenge

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Thu Sep 11 14:02:06 MST 2008

Hey guys.  I have a fun and useful challenge for anyone wishing to show
off their prowess at problem solving and basic world domination.

We have morphological data for the KJV.  Lots of work by many people
went into this data, to markup each English word in the Bible text to
the corresponding Hebrew or Greek word in the original text.

We have many other Bibles with /similar/ wording to the KJV which are
not yet marked up.

Lane Dennis from Crossway (ESV publishers) is here at Tyndale House
visiting and we've talked in the past about helping them markup their
ESV text to the original.

I have done most all of the grunt work for you!

Attached is source for a program which attempts to insert <w> markup
into the ESV markup using the KJV data.

It is HEAVILY commented, requires latest SVN of the SWORD engine
INSTALLED on your system, both the KJV and ESV modules INSTALLED, and
has an nice little method:

void matchWords(...)

where you're given:
a word list from ESV
a word list from KJV
a map from KJV word to an XMLTag "<w...>"

and all you have to do is fill out the equivalent:
map from ESV word to an XMLTag.

As a sample, it current has a really silly algorithm that actually works
for Gen.1.1, so you have an example of the work you need to do.

All you have to do is add the real magic that figures out which words in
the ESV map to which words in the KJV (well, you get the idea).

Have fun!  And I'm sure you can see where this is going and how useful
it can be for future work!

	-Troy.