[sword-devel] SWORD Remote Module Repository Setup

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sat Nov 29 13:44:44 MST 2008

Peter,

Thank you so much for starting this.  You have lots of great
information.  Here are my 2p :)

Reading all the details at first sounds slightly daunting.  The most
basic way to setup a remote repository is to simply point an anonymous
FTP server to any working SWORD module installation (i.e. if
/usr/share/sword works for your frontends, then expose this directory
via your FTP server and your module repository is done).  All C++ SWORD
frontends should function properly from this.

COMMENTARY:
I have always desired for JSword to also function from this simple
installation, but I realize due to technical issues with Windows, a
while back, decisions were made to use http, and since this technical
problem forced them to move from the existing standard, they decided to
optimize and use the zip files produced from our web packaging system.
I believe I have this history correct.  DM can provide more accurate and
detailed information if I'm off too much.  I would still like for JSword
to support this scheme used by our C++ engine-- which I believe it used
to support.  DM and I have discussed this and other issues moving
forward to more optimized and standardized installation procedures.  But
the simplicity of pointing an FTP server to any SWORD module
installation is a beautiful thing to tell publishers.  I would like all
of our software to support at least this simple mechanism.

To optimize a repository with quite a few modules, the "mods.d.tar.gz"
archive file of the mods.d directory can be created.  The repository
will work fine without this but adding the file will optimize repository
refresh times for the user if more than a couple modules exist in the
repository.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write this up.

	-Troy.