[sword-devel] Taming Wild Threads (was: Getting stuff done (Re: External links))

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Thu Nov 27 09:58:53 MST 2008

DM Smith wrote:
> By the way, I don't understand how knowing OSIS is of any help to
> front-end developers? If I understand correctly, a front-end requests
> the SWORD engine to hand it HTML or RTF or the like and displays that
> as is.

Kinda. :)
BT maintains its own filters. The HTMLHREF filters were written
specifically for GS, though they do reside within the Sword library. The
RTF filters are basically for BibleCS and include occasional BibleCSy
stuff. Swordweb has its own filters, again within the library. Even
diatheke drags its own filters along for certain output formats.

So, in an ideal world a program asks Sword for HTML and gets HTML that
it can use. In reality, all of the frontend developers inevitably want
more control than that permits.

> (Regarding tei2mod, it is a much simpler importer but it has not
> received much testing. Pretty much only Chris and I have used it. As
> far as I know, it works.)

I don't know whether he actually used tei2mod or not, but Daniel Owens
produced a nice Vietnamese-English dictionary in TEI P5 that went
through tei2mod without a hitch. So that's 3 TEI encoders so far. ;)

--Chris