[sword-devel] Taming Wild Threads (was: Getting stuff done (Re: External links))

Matthew Talbert ransom1982 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 08:57:14 MST 2008

> The present thread was begun because Karl recommended a solution that is
> in opposition to our fundamental move towards OSIS and TEI and that had
> no guarantee of working outside of GnomeSword.

You can't see any irony in the fact that the solution you proposed was
guaranteed to not work on any platform? Karl's solution works right
now in Gnomesword, so his advice could be very helpful for someone in
the beginning stages of module creation who wants to be able to see
results immediately for testing. This is my current situation. There
is no reason the module couldn't later be turned into OSIS when the
cross-references are supported.

While this is an open source project, it appears to me that if you
really want people to use OSIS you will have to do some more
evangelizing to get the frontend developers and module makers on
board. By evangelizing, I mean explaining clearly the benefits, and
providing documentation. The frontends have enough inertia now that
crosswire can't simply dictate these things and tell them to look at
the code to see how to imlement.

Matthew