[sword-devel] Taming Wild Threads (was: Getting stuff done (Re: External links))

Matthew Talbert ransom1982 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 01:11:48 MST 2008

Chris,

There are several issues I would like to comment on, and several
things I agree with you on, but it's late and I'm tired so they will
have to wait or others will I'm sure.

I think maybe you're missing something here. We have non-programmers
who want to create modules. You just told them to read the source code
so they would be able to generate correct files. I can't stress this
enough:

THIS IS WHAT EVERYONE IS HAVING AN ISSUE WITH IN REGARDS TO OSIS SUPPORT

I am a programmer, but I shudder at the thought of digging through all
of the engine code, plus various front-end code, just to determine how
to encode a module. After this discussion, I am less convinced than
ever that I should even attempt an OSIS module.

Chris, you are an expert in all things regarding module encoding,
character encoding, versification, and numerous other things I don't
have a clue about. Because you have the most complete knowledge of all
of this, please, please, please, devote some time to creating examples
for the rest of us that show exactly what is supported and what isn't
and how things work in general. You are by far the best person for
this, and I really believe it would save you a lot of time in the long
run. Also because you are the best at this, you would be the best
person to inform the front-end developers that their support is
lacking in certain areas.

So I'm clear, what I personally need for understanding how to use OSIS
for module creation would be very small mini-module examples that
cover the current supported features well, along with appropriate
content. If you could do this, i will gladly learn OSIS and help out
with error correction.

Matthew