[sword-devel] Next Release

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Wed Nov 26 15:22:10 MST 2008

> Isn't this kept in SWVersion.currentVersion? Backward compatibility is
> removed every new SWORD version, I think (not on purpose necesarily, but
> there are always some things to fix.

I don't believe this is true.  Although we add new features, sometimes
changing object sizes-- which may prevent binary compatibility, not
sure--  we try hard to maintain compile compatibility.  I would think
that most old versions of frontends could compile on 1.5.11.  TRUNK is
an exception because of the underlying requirement of dyn versification
(dv11n) to not provide a static array of book name, chapter, verses any
longer.  We should probably call this 1.6.0.

>     2) stability: we are missing bounds checks for calls into the new
>     VerseMgr, resulting in crashes if you, for example, ask for the max
>     chapter of a book which doesn't exist.  I think this is the main cause
>     for crashes, but it would be nice to get some feedback from the frontend
>     developers of how stable the current code base is.  After a few days of
>     hunting bugs and valgrinding, we can make a good decision if we should
>     release without dyn versification.
>
> The dyn versification doesn't buy us anything (yet), does it? It still
> lacks facility to map between different versifications, which is
> crucial. That said, lots of people seem to want to read the apocrypha
> with BPBible, so if it included support for the apocrypha that might be
> different...

Do you mean that that we don't include dv11n in this release because we
don't get much (any) new functionality?  I guess I would answer that
there are some improvements/optimizations, but my main purpose is to
move forward and make it solid if we're close, rather than spend time
separating these changes from other work which has been done.  Adding
the layer of abstraction for dv11n is done and the first v11n system
added is the old KJV system.  This should all be done.  We're not saying
that we support dv11n yet, just that the new engine has the abstraction
to support such and it would be nice to get this layer out in a released
version, as a first stage, so we can test and assess things, while we
work on the next stage.  I shouldn't quote this or I know it will be
used against me, but "release early, release often" :)

>     I would like to have a release soon, as well.  We have committed to a 6
>     month release cycle and are about 1 month late, I believe.
>
> Good.

Thanks Ben.  Appreciate your contributions.  I hope to get your patches
in soon.

	-Troy.