[sword-devel] Next Release (was: Taming Wild Threads)

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 14:10:37 MST 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 6:40 AM, Troy A. Griffitts <scribe at crosswire.org>wrote:

> Good suggestion Karl.  Others sound like they would also like this.  May
> I ask first for some feedback regarding current state of TRUNK?  I
> believe we have a fairly optimized impl of the old functionality running
> in the new paradigm of dyn versification.  We might be able to clean it
> up by next week.  I currently understand there are two issues:
>
> 1) non-backward-compat change of removing VerseKey::books hardcoded
> array.  We've talked about adding a SWORDVERSION define, but I just had
> a 'doh' moment and realized we have: pkg-config --modversion sword

Isn't this kept in SWVersion.currentVersion? Backward compatibility is
removed every new SWORD version, I think (not on purpose necesarily, but
there are always some things to fix.

2) stability: we are missing bounds checks for calls into the new
> VerseMgr, resulting in crashes if you, for example, ask for the max
> chapter of a book which doesn't exist.  I think this is the main cause
> for crashes, but it would be nice to get some feedback from the frontend
> developers of how stable the current code base is.  After a few days of
> hunting bugs and valgrinding, we can make a good decision if we should
> release without dyn versification.

The dyn versification doesn't buy us anything (yet), does it? It still lacks
facility to map between different versifications, which is crucial. That
said, lots of people seem to want to read the apocrypha with BPBible, so if
it included support for the apocrypha that might be different...

I would like to have a release soon, as well.  We have committed to a 6
> month release cycle and are about 1 month late, I believe.

Good.

God Bless,
Ben
Multitudes, multitudes,