[sword-devel] Getting stuff done (Re: External links)

Brian J. Dumont bdumont at ameritech.net
Wed Nov 26 07:53:14 MST 2008

Matthew Talbert wrote:
> I would just like to add that some short examples of how to use OSIS
> and TEI for dictionaries would be very helpful. By examples I just
> mean a few entire entries done with different options with comments
> explaining what was going on. Linking to the TEI page doesn't help me
> very much, because it's hard to tell easily what's relevant and what
> isn't. Also, the xsd is huge and a bit overwhelming to me. A few
> examples showing how things are commonly used would be a help. What is
> confusing is things like Entry vs EntryFree which has been discussed
> here, but I'm afraid there are more things like that that *could* be
> done different ways, but I really can't tell which is preferred.

In a similar vein, I would appreciate some example OSIS genbooks (with
internal and external links).  Our OSIS tutorial
(http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/index.php/OSIS_Tutorial) give no real
discussion of genbooks.  mod2osis can't convert genbooks, and I don't
find any documentation that specifically discusses genbooks.

I'm sure that given enough time and effort (with a lot of trial and
error), I could figure it out.  I haven't seen the driver to warrant the
time investment when there is *so* much waiting to be done in terms of
content.  At this point, I can make genbooks that display well in GS,
BT, BD, and BibleCS.

I've been going through a serious clean-up of my ThML modules, and at
this point they are getting pretty darn clean.  If I could convert them
to OSIS using a handful of global search-replace calls or with a few
sed/awk/perl scripts, *and* if that would help usability on the various
platforms, then I'd be willing to do so.  Right now, it kind of seems
like a big hassle for little benefit (that is for genbooks), so I've
chosen to move ahead with ThML.