[sword-devel] Getting stuff done (Re: External links)

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Tue Nov 25 17:36:39 MST 2008

A few probably-abrasive (pre-apologies) comments on this thread.

OSIS is not meant for display layout markup.

Since our engine supports multiple output formats, screen sizes, layout
methodologies, etc., our module data should not be marked up in display
layout markup.

I understand why Karl uses ThML-- because gnomesword supports it.  I
would ask him and others to consider supporting other frontends better,
and our general goal to move toward a 'semantically' marked up text
rather than a display oriented markup because of all the obvious
reasons-- linguistic research of the text, display abstraction and
customization, common interchange format between orgs, etc.

The practical matter is that it should be quite painless, after the
initial learning curve hit (which should prove itself to be short via
#sword discussions on irc) to convert thml markup to osis.  But at
least, if there is no time for the extra work, to still consider it our
ideal to support a semantic markup.

support for external links:

There is currently no programmatic features in the engine which help or
hinder external links.  Historically there has been a common conceptual
agreement that a 'reference' is to that of a 'general Bible'.

This needs to change, we all agree.

The agreed extension is to:
implement support for the key prefix on OSIS tag <reference
osisRef="module:key"> syntax.

use the prefix to specify a sword module.
determine a set of meta modules like:
bible:
strong:
self:

default the prefix, if absent to 'bible:' so current modules still work.

None of this requires engine changes, but rather that we extend the
historical conceptual idea of a reference beyond bible:key.

This is a frontend change.  Just as gnomesword decomposes a reference
from ThML sword://module/key, it should also decompose a reference from
OSIS module:key and accommodate the meta modules above accordingly... as
should all frontends.

Now, the engine COULD definitely be extended to HELP the frontend
developers decompose these keys by pushing a common concept from our
frontends of 'user preferred strong dictionary', 'user preferred Bible',
etc. down into the engine, and then adding a 'module' component to a
key.  This could have the effect of letting our verse parser take care
of the prefix and hand back a ListKey of entries each with appropriate
module components filled in.  But this is just a first thought of how we
can help frontend developers support extending the reference concept.

The fact is, currently MOST frontends, when they see a reference pull up
the user's preferred Bible and show the reference.  This logic needs to
change in the frontends.