[sword-devel] Chapter-centric browsing (was: iPhone frontend alpha screenshots)

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 17:10:18 MST 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 11:01 AM, Matthew Talbert <ransom1982 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I like the idea of scrolling past (or before) a chapter break in a
>> display window.
>
> I just thought I would mention that Gnomesword does exactly this. It
> shows one verse of context before and after the chapter, but scrolling
> to that verse causes the chapter to change either before or after.
> Unfortunately it appears to be broken in the latest builds, but it
> *has* worked. I personally didn't care for it much, because I would
> forget and scroll too far and suddenly everything would change.

Yes.  I don't like that because it is still losing context (the
context of the chapter you have just left), and, as you say, it could
be quite unexpected if it suddenly flips over to another chapter.

However, it seems to me that almost all of the simple to implement
suggestions will lose context somewhere, and so the question is where
the best tradeoff is.  I suspect that chapters may remain the best,
just because (while it is an arbitrary cut-off) it is an arbitrary
cut-off users can be expected to understand and to be used to.

Jon