[sword-devel] Chapter-centric browsing (was: iPhone frontend alpha screenshots)

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 16:34:01 MST 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 5:16 PM, Ben Morgan <benpmorgan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 9:55 AM, DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I agree with some of the earlier posts that we need to formalize the
>> notion of sections and allow people to show a section at a time. This
>> can be done by analyzing the positions of the headers and assume that
>> they mark the start of sections.
>
> While I don't see a problem with formalizing the notion of sections (and it
> would be interesting metadata) I would not use this as a single block of
> text to display. Possibly something laid out like in, for example, Google
> Reader - having sections in pages, and allowing scrolling up and down to
> other pages - would be good.

While I think that this would be good to have, I think that it ought
to be left to the module creator.  If I understood DM properly, it
would use the pre-verse/inter-verse headers.  In lieu of that, it
could use paragraph breaks (stanza breaks for poetry) or some other
mechanism.  In my opinion the most important thing is that the library
and front ends are not the place where these are impressed upon the
text, but rather that the creators of the content be able to specify
it how they wish.

--Greg