[sword-devel] Getting stuff done (Re: External links)

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 16:25:59 MST 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com>wrote:

> None.  Information is all relative to the context.  You lose no
> information if you encode printed KJV italics terms with <i>, <em>,
> <hi type="i"> or <transChange>.  It still means the exact same thing -
> the enclosed text was added by translators and the module creator
> wishes to maintain that.  The only time you'd lose information when
> moving to OSIS is if you specifically chose to drop information out.
> As for losing information if you move into ThML - I'm not fully
> familiar with the ThML specification, one of the biggest problems I
> have with it is that the versions I can find on the web (1.02 from
> 2001) don't have support for actually encoding a whole Bible.  But for
> the rest of the genre which ThML supports, I see no information which
> can't be represented in ThML.
The point I was making was not that you can't encode it, but you lose the
semantic significance of it. The user can tell that <i>test</i> was added,
but the program can't - unless that is the only way <i> is ever used - which
it isn't. If you use italic formatting for anything else, you have lost
information - not presentation information - but the actual meaning is now
inaccessible to the program, as it can't necessarily tell what a particular
<i> means. If I want to mark translator added words in violet, or even allow
omitting them altogether, this is now not easily possible.

God Bless,
Multitudes, multitudes,
   in the valley of decision!
For the day of the LORD is near