[sword-devel] Chapter-centric browsing (was: iPhone frontend alpha screenshots)

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 25 15:55:53 MST 2008

On Nov 25, 2008, at 5:29 PM, Jonathan Morgan wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 12:27 AM, Daniel Owens <dhowens at pmbx.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> Sebastien Koechlin wrote:
>>
>> I use Libronix on occasion myself, and it's a great program. It's a
>> memory hog, though, and doesn't run in Linux, so when I am preparing
>> sermons I usually PREFER to use a SWORD application. Not being able
>> scroll easily, though, is a substantial headache. It's one I
>> willingly
>> put up with, though, for the speed and convenience. As far as I
>> know no
>> one has mentioned that BibleDesktop allows for displaying a range of
>> verses that cross chapter boundaries. This is particularly useful for
>> cross-references or working on passages that cross chapter
>> boundaries.
>
> That is an advantage of BibleDesktop.  The disadvantage is that if I
> want to go to a reference like Genesis 3:3 then I don't get any
> context at all, so I am forced to go to Genesis 3 or Genesis 3:1 - 10
> or whatever else I may decide to.  At least with a chapter-centric one
> I would generally get some context automatically.

I don't like all the interfaces that assume that I want an entire
chapter at a time. Most times, I want specific verses. By default,
BibleDesktop hides the Passage Sidebar. It give the ability to click
on a passage and grow it by a context of 1 or 5 verses. This pre-
existed my involvement, but I find it very handy. I get just what I
ask for and can expand to get more of the context if desired.

I agree with some of the earlier posts that we need to formalize the
notion of sections and allow people to show a section at a time. This
can be done by analyzing the positions of the headers and assume that
they mark the start of sections.

In Him,
	DM