[sword-devel] Chapter-centric browsing (was: iPhone frontend alpha screenshots)

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Mon Nov 24 13:37:14 MST 2008

Greg Hellings wrote:
> Would it be easier to break on paragraph boundaries? That would be
> more natural - go back to the previous paragraph boundary if the
> chapter doesn't begin on one, same with going to the end if there is
> no end of paragraph at the end of a chapter, etc?

What boundary do you exactly mean? There are two problems: First, not
all translations have paragraphs/passages. Second, if we want to have a
system for all translations we have to create a paragraph division
anyways. It could of course be a normal division with next
paragraph/passage beginning where the previous one end. But the Biblical
text have not been written like that. Many times the flow of thought is
like this:

P1 -----------------------
P2           -----------------------------

But the modern way of dividing text is like this:

That is one reason why different translations have different
paragraph/passage boundaries. With the proposed system we could always
get the larger passage, which is "safer" if we want to find context for
some specific verse or some other small section. Additionally it could
be even easier to create overlapping passage divisions because making
decision between two possibilities may be quite difficult (which, again,
can be seen in different translations).

--Eeli Kaikkonen