[sword-devel] Gnomesword on Windows

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Fri Nov 21 01:27:00 MST 2008

Hi Tonny,

Karl has already answered a good deal, so I keep it short.

Tonny Kohar wrote:
> Hi Peter
>
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 3:25 AM, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:
>> Peter von Kaehne wrote:
>>> I will upload somewhere a Ubuntu screenshot for how it is looking here.
>>
>> http://www.crosswire.org/~refdoc/private/Screenshot-Persian%20Holy%20Bible%20(Tarjumeh-ye%20Ghadeem)%20-%20GnomeSword.png
>>

> Wow, I just realized that the RTL stuff is not just a text only but
> the whole GUI is also shifting RTL.
> Before I thought it is only a matter of text orientation, but now I
> realized it is really the whole things :)
>
> - Is that the shifting of GUI (the whole things) is the correct
> behaviour of RTL locale (I mean the GUI flow/shifting) ?

Yes

> - Did other correctly localized application in Ubuntu also shifting
> the whole GUI (for RTL locale).

Yes, all do. At least the good ones do. Newish versions of GTK and QT
do the shifting themselves. FarsiKDE and Farsi Gnome are RtoL oriented.

DM worked very hard on BibleDesktop to achieve the same for BD. What was
a matter of setting a different locale on GnomeSword was a major pain on
BD and hit some very definite limitations.

I am working right now on SwordWeb (where it is on teh whole a lot
easier as it is simply a CSS sheet which defines behaviour.

> - On Windows/Mac (if exists RTL version of Windows/Mac), Did other
> correctly localized application in Windows/Mac also shifting the whole
> GUI (for RTL locale).

BD does. I am told other Windows applications do so too, but as I do not
use a lot of Windows I can not tell from own experience.

> - Did the users in those RTL country/locale, really expect the
> program/application to have this RTL GUI flow ?

"really expect" is a bad term. Until very recently these locale were
extremely badly served. I remember still the time having to download for
every other web page in Farsi a custom font. People would use extreme
clutches and hacks in order to be able to make use of various programmes
 in their own language(s). So expectation is probably too high a term as
many are used to bad stuff. But hoping for, asking for and expecting
that things get better - yes.

Yours

Peter