[sword-devel] Gnomesword on Windows build instructions

Matthew Talbert ransom1982 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 21:33:38 MST 2008

There seems to be a good deal of interest on the sword list, so I'm posting
here too. Apologies if it's out of place.

These are preliminary instructions. It is quite possible that I have
forgotten something important. Please let me know if there are any problems
or issues with these. Also, I know very little about autotools and some of
the things I have done could be fixed in a better way, so don't hesitate to
say so.

Remember when editing any files, particularly shell scripts or your profile,
that you need to preserve unix line endings. Notepad will not be your friend
here. If you like vi, that comes with msys. Otherwise, I recommend
Notepad++. Emacs is also available for windows, of course.

Gnomesword/Windows build instructions

Install mingw base system only

Install msys

Install msysDTK directly over msys (direct link to file)

Install m4-1.4.7-MSYS into your msys /bin

Install strawberry perl in default location
Set the environment variable INTLTOOL_PERL=/path/to/strawberry/bin/perl
    export INTLTOOL_PERL=/c/strawberry/perl/bin/perl
    this is done in c:\msys\1.0\etc\profile
    for all following instructions, when you run configure do it with
install gnome versions of utilities
    create a directory c:\msys\1.0\dev
    add it to your path (in profile)
    unpack everything there
    you need at this point, pkg-config, gettext, gettext-deve,
gettext-runtime, gettext-runtime-dev
add this line to your profile
    export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/dev/lib/pkgconfig
upgrade autoconf to 2.63 from source
upgrade automake to 1.9 from source
install libcurl
    (direct linke)
    find curl-config script from linux and copy it to /mingw/bin
compile sword-1.5.11 from source (
    with libcurl is easier than ftplib
    you will have to manually alter makefile to link against regex
download gnomesword 2.4.1
download lots of gnome libs and unpack them in dev
    for everything, you need the normal and developer package
    atk, cairo, fontconfig, freetype, gail, gconf, glib, gnome-common,
gnome-doc-utils, gnome-vfs, goocanvas, gtk+, gtkhtml-3.18, intltool, libart,
libbonobo, libbonoboui, libbzip, libffi, libglade, libgnome, libgnomecanvas,
libgnome, libgnomeprint, libgnomeprintui, libgnomeui, libiconv, libIDL,
libpng, libxml2, ORBIT, popt, pthreads, zlib
alter configure script to allow compilation without scrollkeeper
apply linux/windows diff
    hopefully most will be unnecessary soon
    mailed to gnomesword-developers
run configure with --enable-gtkhtml --disable-scrollkeeper --prefix=/mingw
    you will have to alter the makefile in libs to link against libcurl.dll
(-lcurl doesn't work)
make install
run gnomesword

getting gnomesword free from mingw is another topic.

helpful links