[sword-devel] iPhone Frontend

Nathan Vander Wilt nate-lists at calftrail.com
Tue Nov 18 15:40:59 MST 2008

On Nov 18, 2008, at 12:41 PM, Ian Wagner wrote:
> The new NDA does not apply to released software, but still
> applies to unreleased software, so I guess that means I can't share
> code publicly until it makes it onto the app store.

You cannot share code that discloses details regarding *Apple's*
unreleased software. Otherwise, your code is your code, and you can do
what you want with it.

Apple adds new Frobnilatur class to a developer preview of iPhone OS
4.2 and you use it in your app. You cannot release source code like
the following:

- (FrobniWhozit*)amazingThings {
	Frobnilatur* foo = [Frobnilatur frobnilWithOptions:(FAmazingness |
	// use special new functionality
	[foo startHologramChat];
	return [foo hologramWhozit];

Posting this code would reveal the existence of, and details
concerning, Apple's trade secret intellectual property marketing
splash patentable confidential material.

You are using only features of Apple's publicly released frameworks.
If the following source were yours, you could share it as you please:

- (void)drawRect:(CGRect)rest {
	// this is all available already in iPhone OS 2.0, which is publicly
	CGContextRef ctx = UIGraphicsGetCurrentContext();
	CGContextStrokeRect(ctx, [self bounds]);

Posting this code doesn't reveal anything that isn't (at last!)
available in "How to Program iPhone" books or on developer
mailinglists and such.

(Remember though that I'm just this guy, I don't work for or represent
Apple and I'm not a lawyer, and I didn't even reread the Agreement(s)
before posting... but this is my understanding of the matter.)