[sword-devel] iPhone Frontend

Nathan Vander Wilt nate-lists at calftrail.com
Tue Nov 18 15:40:59 MST 2008

On Nov 18, 2008, at 12:41 PM, Ian Wagner wrote:
> The new NDA does not apply to released software, but still
> applies to unreleased software, so I guess that means I can't share
> code publicly until it makes it onto the app store.

You cannot share code that discloses details regarding *Apple's*
unreleased software. Otherwise, your code is your code, and you can do
what you want with it.

Example:
Apple adds new Frobnilatur class to a developer preview of iPhone OS
4.2 and you use it in your app. You cannot release source code like
the following:

- (FrobniWhozit*)amazingThings {
	Frobnilatur* foo = [Frobnilatur frobnilWithOptions:(FAmazingness |
FCoolitude)];
	// use special new functionality
	[foo startHologramChat];
	return [foo hologramWhozit];
}

Posting this code would reveal the existence of, and details
concerning, Apple's trade secret intellectual property marketing
splash patentable confidential material.

Example:
You are using only features of Apple's publicly released frameworks.
If the following source were yours, you could share it as you please:

- (void)drawRect:(CGRect)rest {
	// this is all available already in iPhone OS 2.0, which is publicly
released
	CGContextRef ctx = UIGraphicsGetCurrentContext();
	CGContextStrokeRect(ctx, [self bounds]);
}

Posting this code doesn't reveal anything that isn't (at last!)
available in "How to Program iPhone" books or on developer
mailinglists and such.

(Remember though that I'm just this guy, I don't work for or represent
Apple and I'm not a lawyer, and I didn't even reread the Agreement(s)
before posting... but this is my understanding of the matter.)

HTH,
-natevw