[sword-devel] iPhone Frontend

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 13:16:47 MST 2008

>> My communications with the Apple Developer Connection people about the
>> status of GPL software on the iPhone lead to them simply telling me to
>> ask my legal counsel.  Unfortunately, I don't have the money available
>> to me to pay legal counsel to answer that question.  If I were you,
>> I'd scour Linux.com or put in a question to the GNU people about it,
>> since those were the groups initially responsible for the articles
>> about GPL's incompatibility with the iPhone developer program.
>> However, my understanding of Apple's announcement a few weeks back was
>> that they wanted to have GPL software available through the iTunes
>> Store, so I think you're safe to proceed.  At the least, for now,
>> those of us who are also ADC members are legally allowed to see the
>> code.  You may just have to make that a requirement for access to the
>> code until you can sort out the question firmly.
>>
>> --Greg
>
> I wish I had money for a lawyer too on this one. I have been looking
> around, reading the NDA and GPL and lots of websites, but I'm getting
> lots of conflicting information. The GPLv3 I THINK is out, but that
> shouldn't matter since SWORD is GPLv2. Obviously wordpress has
> released a GPL'd app and it was approved by Apple and Apple doesn't
> seem to be making any hubbub, but the FSF people might. The NDA seems
> to be ok with distributing code for released software, but my question
> is if the GPL will mess things up by requiring that the iPhone
> libraries that we link against be GPL licensed. That would obviously
> be a problem.

I'm fairly certain this is not the case, otherwise no open source
software could be written for Windows or Mac OS X, either.  The GPL on
SWORD requires that software linking against SWORD (i.e. your iPhone
front-end) be open source.  It cannot make a requirement about what it
links against, though, without eliminating building the system on any
closed-source operating systems.  You are correct that GPLv3 is not
allowed on iPhone because of the code signing issue - but that's fine,
since SWORD's GPLv2 is not compatible with GPLv3.  As for the FSF
people coming after you, that would only happen if the owners of
libraries you link with (SWORD, cURL?, Lucene?) went to the FSF and
convinced the FSF that you were violating their GPL-licensed code.
However, so long as you release your code under the GPL, then you're
not violating that.  Your real concern is with Apple getting on your
case for breaking the NDA.  But that requirement was supposed to have
been dropped from the latest update to the SDA.

--Greg