[sword-devel] Personal commentary -- internal scripture xrefs

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 12 09:36:32 MST 2008

Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
> "Troy A. Griffitts" <scribe at crosswire.org> writes:
>
>> The personal commentary driver is not handled differently than any other
>> module type.  In personal.conf, if you have SourceType=OSIS then the
>> engine will recognize <reference> tags.  If SourceType=ThML then
>> <scripRef>.  Hope this makes sense (and is correct).
>>

> [charcoal at www mods.d]$ hostname
> www.crosswire.org
> [charcoal at www mods.d]$ ls -la ~0/personal.conf
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 pubmods pubmods 220 Jun 13 03:45 /space/home/ftp/pub/sword/raw/mods.d/personal.conf
> [charcoal at www mods.d]$ grep Source ~0/personal.conf
> [charcoal at www mods.d]$

When the SourceType is unspecified, it is Plaintext.

Both ThML and OSIS filters can handle Plaintext modules, but they differ
in the handling of whitespace from the Plaintext filters. I don't know
what would happen if it were changed to SourceType=OSIS, but I'd like to
see that change. Maybe, the front-ends can give the user a choice of
whether to have a plain or rich text personal commentary and the
front-end would record the results in the conf's SourceType field.

In looking at how BibleTime, GnomeSword and BibleCS create personal
commentaries, I found that they did not create portable ones. I forget
the details, as I looked a long time ago.

I was hoping when writing BibleDesktop's code for the personal
commentary to code to a portable standard. Maybe we can create one going
forward?

In Him,
    DM