[sword-devel] CrossWire website / wiki [was: [OT] just join, testing only]

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Mon Nov 10 19:22:40 MST 2008

Top posting because I am commenting in general on this thread.

The CrossWire main page should be very brief, concise, clean, hardly
ever changed, and point people to project websites... and static.

We have a very strange situation.  CrossWire is intended for 2 very
different groups of people.  Everyone on this list is interested in the
development process.  MOST users are not-- especially Windows users
(with whom most of us developers have a hard time sympathizing).

The main CrossWire page attempts to sensitively cater to both.  We
briefly point out our developers' pages for SWORD and JSword
immediately, and then go straight into an attempt to direct users to
their frontend, organized by OS.

In principle, I think we have the right idea.  In practice we may not
have hit this target as central as we would have liked.

I agree with the need to let more people update things, but not for the
main CrossWire page.  And project pages have always been up to each
project on how they let their pages be edited.  If they want to have
their whole page be a wiki, then they are welcome.

But again, for the main CrossWire page, if things need to be edited
often, then we haven't done our job with its purpose.

As for the 'project website' for The SWORD Project engine...
I'd love for more of The SWORD Project developer pages to be wiki
editable and updated.  Some of these things have already happened with
the module creation pages, the .conf layouts, etc.

We do have a static set of policies that I'd like to keep static-- our
purpose statement, etc.

And I'd love to give access to a few old-timer volunteers, who
understand our terminology and goals, to update the CrossWire main page
when they see it out of date.  Volunteers?

Feel free to tell me why I'm wrong.  I figure if I give permission, then
I'm reducing your sin. :)

	-Troy.

Jason Galyon wrote:
> Manfred Bergmann wrote:
>> Am 10.11.2008 um 21:46 schrieb Chris Little:
>>

>>> The Wiki is just plain unattractive. We've got a fairly consistent
>>> look
>>> throughout the Sword, CrossWire, JSword, & other crosswire.org-hosted
>>> sites. The Wiki is has an inconsistent and very plain appearance with
>>> respect to the Sword site that would presumably point people to it.
>>>
>> I think the wiki is not unattractive. It is light and bright, the
>> color are ok and people (maybe) are familiar to it because of wikipedia.
>> Currently I think it is more attractive and inviting than the static
>> web page.
>>

>>> Collaborative editing often leads to bad edits. There are parts of the
>>> CrossWire & Sword sites that are out of date and now possibly
>>> inaccurate, but edits to the Wiki can (and have at times been) new and
>>> inaccurate. We get spelling and grammar errors that make us look
>>> unprofessional. We get branding inconsistencies since not everyone