[sword-devel] beta module bug reporting

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 8 08:55:14 MST 2008

On Nov 8, 2008, at 10:08 AM, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:

> Looking around the rest of the beta modules' status page, I have 2
> observations.
>
> 1. All of MacSword, BibleDesktop, and GnomeSword are given this
> demerit:
>
> | Does not handle WoC when milestoned quotes are used: <q marker=""
> | who="Jesus" sID="x"/>Words of Christ<q marker="" who="Jesus"
> eID="x"/>
>
> I suggest that if 3 of the major UIs are getting something wrong, it's
> because what those UIs are getting back from the engine is not
> helpful.
> (That is, not necessarily wrong in a technical sense, but certainly
> not
> useful to the UI above which wants to do something productive with
> it.)
> The consistency of the problem is indicative of structural difficulty,
> not coding incompetency or failure.

Chris and I discussed this and came to the following conclusion
(greatly abbreviated here):
1) osis2mod should accept all valid OSIS markup
and
2) transform it into something useful for SWORD that works for all the
filters
in such a way
3) that the original can be reconstructed from the module

osis2mod in svn has been changed to create WoC markup that works
across all filters.

This allows the Sermon on the Mount to have in the input OSIS the
start WoC in Matt 5 and the end WoC in Matt 7. Osis2Mod makes the WoC
markup valid for each verse, so that verses in isolation show the
desired highlighting.

These beta modules need to be rebuilt with the new osis2mod and tested.

In Him,
	DM