[sword-devel] Some questions...

JECompton compton at omegabrethren.com
Sat May 31 22:35:55 MST 2008

Well I've spent some time becoming more familiar with the community and
the SWORD api. Reading the to-do list on the crosswire website confirmed
my decision to commit to helping in what ways I can. The api overview
reminded me of how weak my C++ knowledge is. I will continue to read the
mailing list, trace the api source as best as I can, and become more
familiar with this community.

I do have some questions:
- Where can I learn how to install the newest svn version of some source
code w/o it conflicting w/ the SWORD-based programs like gnomesword I
have installed for daily use?
- The bug tracker link on the website doesn't work. Will this be fixed
eventually?
- If I find typos in texts, how should I change or report it?
- I am particularly interested in computational linguistics, semiotics,
and theoretical work that might lead to more effective computer-aided
translation. I don't know where to start, though. I've taken discrete
math and linear algebra, but I just don't know where to look for more
information on this subject. I would feel deeply indebted to anyone who
could direct me further.
- Is there an IRC channel or something similar so I can get to know this
development community better?

Blessings,
Jonathan Compton